@marv_nelson

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, September 15, 2011

    I Need a Larger Bottle!

    Recently,  I've been a bit more as some writers call it "inside my own head" rather than writing my thoughts out.  That coupled with some pretty busy days and weeks, I have neglected my writings as of late...I am sad it has been so long but so is life.

     With that said, I believe I am back in the saddle and ready to get back to the constant writing I have become accustomed to.  Yesterday, I was struck by something I considered to be pretty profound.  It may just be me, but for me it has made a world of difference in the way in which I view myself in light of my need for the Holy Spirit.

      I was reading in a book titled The Counselor: Straight Talk About the Holy Spirit by A.W. Tozer, when I came across this awesome bit of writing.

    "Dr. AB Simpson used an illustration which was about as good as any I ever heard.  He said, 'Being filled with the fullness of God is like a bottle in the ocean.  You take the cork out of the bottle and sink it in the ocean, and you have the bottle completely full of ocean.  The bottle is in the ocean, and the ocean is in the bottle.  The ocean contains the bottle, but the bottle contains only a little bit of the ocean.  So it is with a Christian'.  We are filled unto the fullness of God, but, of course, we cannot contain all of God because God contains us; but we can have all of God that we can contain.  If we only knew it, we could enlarge our vessel.  The vessel gets bigger as we go on with God" (Page 65).


     This struck me so hard yesterday because I always pictured it kind of like a glass under the faucet, where the overflow of God could happen when the faucet was turned on.  Yet, with this idea, we can spill out some of our Jesus and some of our Spirit power...not so with the ocean!  When seen through our being contained an surrounded by the ocean of the Spirit it changes things!  The overflow is then not limited to God but our ability to receive!

      I realized that all along, I had been praying the wrong thing...rather than praying for His Spirit to overflow in me, I should have been praying for Him to enlarge my bottle, so as I can be able to receive more of Himself.  I don't want to settle for the overflow of a small glass, I desire to be a HUGE basin drowned in the ocean of God!

      It's such a soothing thought that there is so much more to God than we sometimes think.  Our minds try to rationalize God, minimize God but He is a vast ocean containing several millions of Christians and His desire is that we would enlarge our bottles so we can receive even more of Himself!

      WOW!  I hope this hits some of you the way it hit me, because it is a sweet, sweet revelation!

    0 comments: