@marv_nelson

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, January 9, 2009

    For The Tough Times

    For The Tough Times by Max Lucado
    ISBN: 978-0-8499-2144-5

    Tough Times are here. I know, I'm experiencing some tough times. Due to the economic downturn, my job was reduced from full time to part-time starting February 1st. I've had to look for another job to supplement the income I will be losing. The media is having a frenzy over the stock-market plunge and more and more people are losing jobs than have been in almost 10 years. Tough Times are here. That's what makes this book so on target especially for me personally. When I began reading this book, I found myself agreeing with what Max was saying. It's just what I needed to hear it, at the exact time I needed to hear it! Max opens up the discussion of tough times asking in Chapter One: Where is God? Max gently reminds the reader that God says: "My thoughts are not your thoughts. Your ways are not like my ways. Just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts" (Isa. 55:8-9). This hit me hard, for I've been dwelling on my thoughts and my situation, without really seeking what His [God's] thoughts were.
    Max continues throughout the whole book discussing hard times (different issues that span divorce to death of a loved one) and answering our hard questions with the Word of God. The book is very short and can easily be read in about an hour but it is extremely powerful. Max writes as a pastor to his flock, which really speaks to me a fellow pastor. I love his candor and obvious love for the readers, imploring them to go to God in prayer; let go of bitterness; understand that God is triumphant and in control; and trying to see hard times through the perspective of God.
    At the end of the book is a short prayer that Max adapted from a prayer written for America Prays, a national prayer vigil. It is short, but powerful prayer that I prayed at the end of my reading the book.
    If hard times are knocking on your door (which they will someday if not right now) I would recommend you buy this book. With most of my reviews I don't outright say: you should buy this book...so know that I say for this book: You Should Buy it.

    The picture above (the cover of the book) is a link to purchase the book.

    3 comments:

    Brian Miller said...

    nice. seems we are tracking together on the book reviews. Will be praying for the job man. ZThats tough, been there. Lets talk soon.

    Unknown said...

    Yea bro, thanks man! Give me a facebook holla when you can!

    ben said...

    yeah, sorry, i meant to leave the book comment/question on this post -- thanks for the recommendations...cool to reconnect with you through the blog -- i enjoy reading what i can when i can...