@marv_nelson

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, January 13, 2009

    A Different Perspective

    When I was a young, wide-eyed college student, I was a selfish jerk. Not too much has changed, but I notice a different outlook.

    All through college, I worked at Chili's as a server. I was a hard worker, gained good income...but I was selfish. I didn't act as a team player. My attitude was how much money can I make in as little time as possible? How can I help myself earn money and leave? These were my thoughts.

    Now, times have changed. I have returned to Chili's in order to take care of my family. This has changed my attitude on working there tremendously. I no longer want to be the first one cut. I want to stay as long as I can in order to get every ounce of money out of the shift I can. I also no longer want to look out just for myself on my shifts. I now have this strange desire to be a team member, helping all those around me.

    Why such a shift in thinking? Am I really that much different...another thought is: did I really act that way when I was there before?

    I am shamed by how I was. However, I realize that this is the difference marriage and children in a man's life creates. He is now no longer focusing on his life alone, but on the lives of those he is asked to take care of.

    There is still a selfish-jerk side to me, yet I think I am maturing. Looking back at who I was, to who I am I can say I am glad for the upgrade in thinking. How has your thinking upgraded lately?

    0 comments: