@marv_nelson

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, September 12, 2008

    Youth Groups!!


    The School year is back in swing so, my youth group blogs are back in session too! This week, I am doing a 2-in-1 deal where I will share what we did in each night. I will start with Tuesday.

    This Tuesday Night for the Sr. High, we kicked off our series on Releasing Your Burdens. Each week, we'll look at Psalm 23 and see what insight it has for us on Releasing our Burdens unto the Lord. This weeks Burden was the burden of Self-Reliance. We as people rely on ourselves WAY too much. I described times in my own life (like messing up the head gasket on my 89' Crown Vic) where I have relied on myself and not God nor the help of others and how it fell apart. David had the right idea, when he admitted to God "LORD, you are my Shepherd". David knew the stupidity of sheep and admitted himself as being one of them and the only person he can rely on is the LORD. I shared this with the Sr. Highers and challenged them to rely on God, rather than themselves. Our discussion time was centered around the "how" of doing that and many of the youth were engaged and willing to see how they can stop relying on themselves and begin to rely on God.


    This Wednesday, we kicked off our series of IDK (which stands for I Don't Know). This wee, we talked about how we don't know our ID (Identity) because the world tries to tell us who we are, how we should dress, how we should act, and how we should talk. However, God gives us an Identity, he made us in his image (Gen. 1:27) He made us for a purpose (Jer. 29:11) and we are his workmanship (translated poema or poem). He cares for us and took time to make us who we are and our ID is in Him, not in what the world tells us. I let the Jr. Highers know that God made them, so they aren't an accident and God cares about them, so they are not (ugly, worthless, fat, an acident, aweful or whatever people may call them), nor do they have to live up the what the world says they should live up to! I showed a video of a kid who tries to find his identity, but seems to just be peeling off layers of himself. The video is right below. Our small group discussions went well, in which the teens really engaged with the ID that God was giving them!!






    1 comments:

    Erik said...

    That the 3rd or 4th time I've seen a video use that concept of taking the shirts off. The first time I saw it was a Nooma Video. I wonder if all these advertising agencies stole the idea from Nooma or the other way around? Hmmm....